What should you look for in an attorney?
You will be working closely with your divorce attorney during an extremely stressful time of your life so you need to find a good fit. When you are looking for an experienced divorce attorney, you should look for someone who will:
- Be easy to work with
- Explain the process and answer any questions you may have.
- Inspire confidence
- Be in your price range
- Have a head for numbers and complex finances
- Respond to your calls and give you what you need
- Be available to you during the divorce
- Specialize in Divorce/Family Law and have a deep understanding of the process
- Be honest with you even if it isn’t something you want to hear
What questions should I ask a prospective Divorce Attorney?
- How long have you been in practice?
- How much “in court” experience do you have?
- What other types of law do you practice? What percentage of your practice is represented by cases other than Divorce/Family Law?
- Are you familiar with the courts my case will be filled in? Do you know the judges involved?
- Will you handle my case or will it be handed off to someone else in your office?
- What are your hourly rates?
- Will you give me an itemized bill every month?
- Can I call you with questions?
- How promptly will you return my calls or emails?
- If the case goes to trial can you continue to represent me?
- Is there any way for me to minimize my legal expenses?
- What documents do I need?
- What do you need from me?